Looking for a simple and easy way to run a game of 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons? Look no further! Read on for key features and setting descriptions for a number of free official adventures from Wizards of the Coast.
Keep on the Shadowfell
An adventure for characters of 1st to 3rd level
- 15-page section of quick-start rules
- 6 pre-generated level 1 characters for your players to use. Powers and abilities gained at 2nd and 3rd levels are included.
- I’ve created printable character sheets and power cards for these 6 characters. Click here to check them out.
- 24 encounters - 2 include skill challenges
- The enemies of the first three encounters are all Kobolds. Miniatures for these creatures can all be found in my set of printable Kobolds.
- The adventure should take characters from level 1 to level 3
“Realms, both wondrous and dire, border the world. One such realm is the Shadowfell. Although not inherently evil, the Shadowfell is fraught with dangers, and the barrier between worlds can be thin. Sometimes the darkness breaks into the light. Nearly two hundred years ago, a cult of the demon prince Orcus purposely created such a gap, connecting one of Orcus’s unholy Shadowfell sites to the world. Skeletons, zombies, and fouler creatures flooded through the rift into the light of day. The empire of Nerath dispatched legionnaires to eliminate the threat. The empire’s soldiers destroyed the undead, sealed the opening, and built a keep to watch over the location and contain the threat. This is the site known as the Keep on the Shadowfell. Decades of peace followed, and the village of Winterhaven arose within sight of the keep. Eventually, the great fort fell into ruins and its grand purpose forgotten. Today, it is seen as a harmless tumble of stone and wood. If only that were true…”
— Excerpt from Keep on the Shadowfell
An adventure for characters of 2nd level
- Takes place in the Eberron campaign setting
- 5 pre-generated level 2 characters for your players to use
- Includes a character that is an Artificer, a class unique to the Eberron setting
- Includes a character that is a Warforged, a race unique to the Eberron setting
- 10 encounters - 3 are skill challenges
- The adventure should take characters from level 2 to level 3
“Thousands of years ago, the fearsome daelkyr came to Eberron from the Far Realm of Xoriat. After a long and bitter struggle, an order of druids known as the Gatekeepers used ancient primal magic to bind the lords of madness in the depths of Khyber, the underworld of Eberron. However, the influence of the daelkyr can still be felt in the world today. Mind flayers, beholders, and lesser aberrant monsters continue to do the bidding of their malevolent daelkyr masters, and in those places where the borders between Xoriat and Eberron are weak, mortals embrace dark dreams and fall prey to the voice of madness.
Tucked into the wild frontier of the Shadow Marches, the village of Blackroot is located on a manifest zone—a nexus point between Eberron and the planes of Xoriat and Mabar, the Endless Night. One of the Cults of the Dragon Below has long flourished in this place, its members sworn to the service of Belashyrra, a daelkyr known as the Lord of Eyes. Partaking of Belashyrra’s foul gifts, those who serve him become something less than human.
The PCs come to Blackroot at a critical time—a rare alignment with both Mabar and Xoriat. When the powers of night and madness are at their height, a gate opens allowing the cultists to descend into the underworld of Khyber. They call this the Harvest—a time when innocent villagers are kidnapped and taken below, their souls bound to the cult and their bodies branded with the living eyes of Belashyrra. Can the PCs save these unfortunates before they become the newest servants of the Lord of Eyes?”
— Excerpt from Khyber’s Harvest
Sea Reavers of the Shrouded Crags
An adventure for 5 characters of 15th level
- The adventure’s theme is a combination of exploration, swashbuckling adventure, and intrigue—think Robin Hood meets 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
- 13 encounters - 5 involve skill challenges
- The adventure should take characters from level 15 to level 16
“Raids along a remote coastline have targeted an organization of cities called the Confederacy of Orodaum. The cities of the Sapphire Sea used to fare for themselves, but about one year ago, the leader of the city of Seryth Orodaum—Lord Felmorra—went missing. Gondra, one of Lord Felmorra’s generals, warned the other cities that a treacherous ruler from the fogshrouded north had abducted him. The cities banded together under Gondra’s leadership, and he sent out troops and ships just as the raids began.
The raiders have been sinking military vessels and disrupting shipments at many of the settlements. Appearing out of nowhere, they surprise even the most experienced lookouts and see through all Gondra’s attempts at espionage. The ruler of the confederacy seeks brave souls to travel into the fogshrouded lands to find the raiders’ hidden base.”
— Excerpt from Sea Reavers of the Shrouded Crags
Do you know of any additional free Dungeons & Dragons adventures? Email me at email@example.com with the details and I’ll add to the 4th Edition list or start a list for other editions.